Chapter President’s Message
Stay healthy in 2023
This is the time of year for resolutions. For retirees, let me suggest that the most important resolution you can make for the year 2023 is STAY ON YOUR FEET!
This simple phrase has two meanings and they are both relevant.
- First, try to spend more of your time moving around rather than sitting.
- The second, avoid falls. Falls are a main cause of morbidity and disability in the elderly.
More than one-fourth of persons 65 years of age or older fall each year, and in half of such cases the falls are recurrent. The risk doubles or triples in the presence of cognitive impairment or history of previous falls.
About that Cost-of-Living Raise
Several of you have written me asking about a cost of living raise in the pension. You point out that the pension trust is overfunded, and inflation has taken its toll, particularly on long-time retirees. And it’s true that one dollar in 1990 purchasing power requires $2.73 today.
We have raised the question with Nokia.
Their answer is that there are no plans for a cost-of-living raise. They point out that retirees prior to 3/1/90 do not pay for healthcare and life insurance.
We will keep monitoring the pension trust numbers in 2023.
HOW YOU CAN HELP OUR CHAPTER
- Become a Member! Sign up to receive emails from us here.
- Be an active member. Respond to Action Alerts. Congress does listen to what constituents are saying. Your letters supporting NRLN lobbying efforts make a difference. Congress knows that those letters and emails are from retirees trying to protect retirees.
- Reach out to other retirees that you know through clubs, your emails or Facebook. We need them to join us to gain strength. Ask them to sign up for emails here.
- Volunteer your time. We need folks who are a little younger than mid-eighties to help in small ways. It’s time for the next generation — you know, you 60- to 70-year-olds, to step up! If you have HR experience, you could be very helpful in the benefits area. If you think you would like to help, even a few hours a month, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Support us financially. Your contribution of $25 or more is important to finance the work of the new chapter. Click here to make your contribution by credit card or send a check to NRLN Inc., and mail to PO Box 69051, Baltimore, MD 21264-9051.
SPECIAL NOTICES TO MEMBERS
Nokia Benefits Website
Retirees can use the YBR website for benefit-related activities such as:
- Enrolling in Nokia’s health and welfare plans (e.g., medical and dental);
- Making and/or changing Nokia Savings/401(k) Plan elections;
- Updating dependent or beneficiary information
- Projecting pension benefits and/or electing to commence pension benefits.
Nokia Benefits Resource Center (NBRC)1-888-232-4111
International Long Distance 1-212-444-0994
Do we have your current email address?
We regularly inform members about important news. If you have mistakenly ‘unsubscribed’ to one of our emails, you will no longer hear from us unless you re-subscribe.
To “re-subscribe”, or to sign up to receive our emails, or if you are not sure we have your current address, CLICK HERE
Joe Sciulli, Vice President – Information Technology/Databases Joe Sciulli is the NRLN Vice President – Social Media and President, Lucent/Nokia Retirees Chapter. He began his career with Western Electric in 1957 in the Defense Activities Division, which served as the prime contractor for the SAGE Air Defense System. He had responsibility for installation and system testing of the system nationwide.